10 Seeds That Have Fantastic Health Benefits
1) Pumpkin seeds have a very light flavour and they work great on salads to provide a bit of crunch, or you can just eat them on their own as a snack. They are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids and they contain zinc, which will help to support your immune system and magnesium, which will keep your heart strong and healthy.
2) Hemp seeds are great for keeping your hair and skin healthy because they are a good source of both omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. They also contain plant sterols, which are the plant based compounds that can reduce the levels of cholesterol in your body. Add to that the fact that they provide a complete protein, and you have one of ten healthiest seeds on the planet.
3) Sunflower seeds are the perfect snack food and they will provide you with cancer and age fighting antioxidants, as well as Vitamin E, which is a vital for bone and skin health. Sunflower seeds can also cheer you up! They contain high levels of magnesium, which is so effective at promoting a balanced mood that it used to be used to treat people suffering with depression.
4) Chia seeds can be sprinkled over breakfast cereals, used in baking, or added to smoothies, and they proved a wonderful additional source of fiber. They are high in magnesium and calcium, which will help to keep your bones healthy and they are a good source omega-3 fatty acids and protein. Chia seeds can also help slow down the signs of ageing, because of the amazingly high levels of antioxidants they contain.
5) Sesame seeds can do more for you than decorate a burger bun! They contain sesamin and sesamolin, which are lignans that can lower cholesterol and they are a good source of copper and manganese. As well as the many health benefits of sesame seeds, which range from lowering anxiety to protecting against cancer, they are also very good for your skin. Sesame seeds contain high levels of zinc, which helps produce collagen that will keep your skin firm and younger looking.
6) Flax seeds are one of the super-food giants in the seed world. They are one of the best sources of soluble fiber, which can curb the appetite and regulate blood sugar levels. They are also a good source of alpha linolenic acid, which is a form of the heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids. A research study that was published in the journal Clinical Nutrition demonstrated that flax seeds can lower blood pressure too, so they would be a good choice for those suffering with hypertension.
7) Pomegranate seeds are a very good source of antioxidants that help protect your body against premature ageing and against certain types of cancer. In fact, pomegranate seeds are higher in antioxidants than green tea and red wine. These seeds will help lower cholesterol in the blood and help prevent hardening of the arteries.
8) Apricot seeds, or kernels, are extremely nutritious and they contain a very special ingredient known as Amygdalin, or Vitamin B17. Amygdalin has all but disappeared from the western diet, but it is known to be very effective for preventing cancer. Apricot seeds are also a good source of iron, phosphorous and potassium.
9) Cumin seeds add a wonderful flavour Indian and Mexican food and they too pack a powerful nutritional punch. Traditionally, cumin seeds have been used as a treatment for digestive problems because they stimulate the production of enzymes that are needed for a healthy digestion. They are also a good source of iron, which will give you more energy and boost the immune system.
10) Mustard seeds have been used all the way back to biblical times as a cure for many different ailments and they are rich in vitamins and minerals, including manganese, phosphorus, copper and Vitamin B1. They are also a good source of fibre and omega-3 fatty acids.